Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Your Junk = My Treasure

My dad called me up a few weeks ago and asked me if I needed some new pots and pans.  

Of course!! (and I actually do) 

Then he told me he'd found a box of pots and pans at the...dump. 

I was a little apprehensive but he assured me that they look barely used and aside from being a little dusty they were in great shape.  He sent them home with me and I put the box in the garage without really glancing at them.  But rather than put it off any longer, last week I grabbed the box with the determination to clean them up, check 'em out and decide if they were worth it.  

They. Are. Worth. It!



It is not a complete set, missing a large stock pot, but I already have one of those.  This set includes three sauce pans and two skillets. 

*All brushed stainless steel
*All with silicone grips oven safe to 400*(although I don't think I'll ever use them in the oven, that's pretty neat!)
*All Kitchen Aid brand!  
Retails at $245 and I got it all for the price of a big fat NADA!!!

These pans are great - I love the way they cook and clean up! They are obviously not non-stick but I've learned a few tricks of cooking with stainless steel; first make sure your pan is hot before you add oil, then add what you are cooking. Meat will stick if you put it in a cold pan no matter how much oil you use. 
Also, it is a little like cast iron. The pans need to be seasoned a bit so that the oil will fill in the pores. It's best to not wash with a lot of soap, as that will rid the pores of the oil, just try soaking the pan in water.  If the food is really cooked on, put enough water into the pan to cover the cooked on parts and heat it to boiling on the stove, turn off the heat and let it soak. 

So get out and go DUMPSTER-DIVING!!! or hit up your local second hand shop, you never know what kind of treasure is waiting for you!


MadCounty Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment