Friday, August 3, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

These homemade granola bars are so yummy! Kids and adults love 'em! You can easily change the recipe to try different flavors. So far we've tried crispy chocolate and chocolate peanut butter. Next I want to try oatmeal raisin; I also have ideas for an orange/cranberry or a white chocolate/cranberry.

The original recipe came from here - she has lots of other great recipes as well.

I changed up my version slightly, combining two recipes, to satisfy our family's tastes.  

Chocolate PB Granola Bars
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup local honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup rice Krispies
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla


Melt peanut butter, honey and coconut oil in saucepan over medium heat.  Heat till slightly bubbly, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; let cool 2-3 minutes. Stir in vanilla.

Combine oats and rice Krispies in large bowl; pour melted mixture over and mix thoroughly.  (Here you can throw some chocolate chips in or wait and put all on top.) 


Press into foil line 8x8 pan; press down firmly to pack it in.  Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and press down again. Let cool (I toss mine in the fridge for an hour or so) 


Turn pan upside onto cutting area, it should fall out.  Then cut into bars. Store in airtight container.  These don't last more than 2 days around here!



Notes - 
Some of the bar recipes on Marathon Mom  call for butter, I have found that butter seems to make the bars extra crumbly and oily so I prefer the coconut oil.

I never seem to have wheat germ or flax seed on hand so I leave those out (in original recipes from Marathon Mom)

I get 8-10 bars out of a pan depending on how you cut them.  With 3 little ones that is at least 3 snacks per child. 

Add-ins:  M&Ms, peanuts, coconut, sunflower seeds, Craisins

Enjoy!

MadCounty Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment