Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Apple Crisp on the Grill!

Nothing is better than a slice of homemade pie with a scoop of ice cream melting into it. But the effort/time required is something most people feel they just don't have.
And in the summer I am a firm believer of the "never turn your oven on if it's over 70* outside".  Especially if you don't have central air.
However I have always wanted to explore cooking on my grill. More than just meat and tin-foil potatoes, more than grilled veggies and corn.
Last summer I made pita pizzas - they turned out great but that was all the exploring I did. This year I wanted to make dessert on my grill.
Every year we have an over abundance of apples; so I slice them up, add some sugar and spices and throw it all in the freezer. This makes it super easy to just dump into a waiting pie crust or bake up some muffins or bars.
It also made this next recipe a breeze.

Apple Crisp on the Grill

3-4 cups sliced apples (with or without peel)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick)
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup juice (orange, apple, whatever you have on hand)

Grease 9 inch tin-foil pie plate.
Sprinkle apples with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Stir to mix, place in pie plate.
Combine flour and oats. Cut in butter till mixture is crumbly.
Pour 1/4 cup juice over apples. Sprinkle flour mixture over apples.
Pour remaining juice over flour.
Cover with tin foil.
Bake in hot grill (about 400* on my grill's temp gauge) on top (warming) rack for 20-30 minutes.
 Serve with ice cream or cream.
Enjoy!
MadCounty Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment